Sunrise over the Caribbean, where my husband and I honeymooned

Monday, March 1, 2010

Doodling Daisies

My desk calendar tells the story of my life! Without it, I’m not sure how I would keep track! I even go as far as to save previous months and currently I can go back over a year and be able to figure out pretty much what I did on any given day. I’m writing about this today, Sunday, February 28, 2010 because I was noticing how the activity on my calendar has dramatically increased recently and the activity is exciting me!
I know sometimes having too many plans can be overwhelming. Even fun events on the calendar start to seem like just something else on the to-do list; unless you’re someone like me who is trying to change her ways. I am dedicated to living a healthier lifestyle and the writing on my calendar is showing the proof!

My life for the past few days:
Thursday, February 25th at 2:45 pm- MY VERY FIRST MAMMOGRAM.
May not seem like a big deal at first glance, but to me it was! I had been putting it off for almost a year. My last yearly visit at the Gynecologist was shortly after my 35th birthday last year. It was then that I was told it was time for a mammogram. My doctor handed me a piece of paper that was a referral for a radiology office. That piece of paper traveled with the pages of my desk calendar for ten months.

QUICK NOTE: My calendar is one of those with the big pages that lay flat on a desk top. There is room to write on each day. There are note sections and even tons of room to doodle! I’m a doodler. My choice of doodle is daisies. My desk calendar is light green.

So anyway, I would remove the page at the end of each month, see the referral from my gynecologist and put it right back under the current page to put it off until yet the NEXT month! As time went by, as quickly as it does these days, I realized that my 36th birthday was quickly approaching and after hearing a story from a friend about her abnormal mammogram, I decided to make the appointment. I don’t know why I put it off so long. A mammogram didn’t scare me, but in hindsight, maybe I was scared of getting older. Preventive maintenance is a good step toward living a healthier lifestyle, so I went through with it with my head up, my modesty in check and my breasts in a vice!
No results yet, but I am confident that no news means good news.

Friday, February 26th – PAYDAY!!!!
Pretty uneventful, but I’m always excited on payday.

Saturday, February 27th at 7:30 pm – BLACK EYED PEAS CONCERT

The significance of this night is big for me. I stayed sober. Not one ounce of alcohol entered my bloodstream which made not smoking easy for me among the hundreds of smokers I encountered that night. Looking back in history at my concert going days, it wasn’t often that I didn’t have a few drinks to loosen up and REALLY enjoy the show. I can only remember ONE concert in fact that I didn’t drink and it was when I took my son to see Aerosmith. I am a little embarrassed to write those words, but the truth is the truth and I am using it to set me free.
Anyway, the concert was a blast! The Black Eyed Peas put on a great show. Their last song was their big new hit “I got a feelin………..whoooo…hoooooo, that tonight’s gonna be a good night…that tonight’s gonna be a good good night!” (I know your singing it to yourself right now). And it WAS a good night indeed, especially for me because I gained the confidence to know that I don’t need alcohol to have fun. And better yet, I don’t need it to boogie!

Sunday, March 1, 2010 in the early afternoon-MY FIRST ORGANIC PURCHASE
I dragged my husband with me to the Whole Foods Supermarket today. I just wanted to check it out. All this stuff I’ve been hearing about the hormones and antibiotics being injected into the meat we eat is a little scary to me. I watched a program about how they have revolutionized the “manufacturing” of chickens by being able to grow a full size chicken in 30 days instead of the 3 months it should take…or something like that. I don’t know all the exact facts but I think it’s pretty weird when a chicken grows so fast that its little chicken legs can barely keep up with its body weight. Yuck. Long story short, I bought grass fed beef and a chicken that was able to develop without injections in the freedom of a field. I’m not obsessed, but just taking small steps in the right direction that support my very own personal health preferences.

FAST-FORWARD……..
Tuesday, March 2, 2010 –VACATION DAY to go SKIING!!!!!!!
A healthy physical activity I enjoy very much, especially without cigarettes and beer. Going with a friend who has never skied before which always makes for a few good laughs.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010, 6:45-7:45 pm – HIP-HOP / BREAK DANCING CLASS
Yes you read that right. I said break dancing. Ha! A few friends and I are doing this class together. Some of us have a little rhythm and dance talent; some of us do not. Some of us will be wearing our Depends.

YES, It is apparent that I have a lot going on these days! I have made some goals for myself and by simply reflecting on what is written on my calendar in the most recent of days, I feel a sense of success. I realize that not every week will be packed jammed with things to do as the future unfolds, but right now it’s really nice rediscovering ways to enjoy my life while still promoting healthy living. I know the time will come when my calendar introduces an empty day or two. I will embrace those days as well....with some rest and relaxation. If the blank of the page should begin to bore me, I’ll just fill in the space by doodling daisies!

FAST-FORWARD FASTER…….
Saturday, March 20, 2010 - MY SON TYLER’S 11TH BIRTHDAY!
My child is the best gift that has ever been given to me. He is also the driving force behind me trying to live my best life. A healthier Mom is a better Mom.
THIS IS ALSO THE FIRST DAY OF SPRING…
WHEN DAISIES START TO GROW

No comments:

Post a Comment