Sunrise over the Caribbean, where my husband and I honeymooned

Friday, February 26, 2010

TBD

Last night we watched an Ellen Degeneres comedy routine. The one about procrastination where she focuses on the busy lifestyles and conveniences of today. Too funny. She spoke about Disorders like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Attention Deficit Disorder and how we've become too busy to even say the whole name so we abbreviated them to OCD and ADD. She came up with an abbreviation of her own called TBD..... TOO BUSY DISORDER. This cracked me up. Everything she said was so true! And of course she put a humorous spin to the fast paced crazy lifestyles we seem to all be living! But in between all the humor lied the absolute truth. We need to slow down, take time to smell the roses so to speak. She made me laugh when she talked about yoga and how we have come to the point where we are paying for silence! We're so busy busy busy all the time and craving to be just be still and quiet, yet in those quiet moments, we're still going full speed ahead on the inside. Ellen spoke of an experience in yoga when the instructor told her to clear her mind. So she is still and quiet and trying to meditate when what pops into her head?....
"Mama keeps it bright, bright like the sunshine, mama's got the magic of Clorox Two!"
Hilarious. I laughed so hard I couldn't breath! I have tried meditation many times and it has been a rare occasion when I was able to completely clear my mind. I think Ellen got it right. I have TBD. My son reminded me of this when I was rushing him out of the house this morning to get to school because I had to hit the bank on the way because I couldn't do it later because I had groceries to get and bills to pay and this and that to do. My son said to me "Mom, remember what Ellen said last night. Ya know, that disorder you have?" HA! So at least for today, I'm going to get my TBD in check and relax a little. I do have some things that need to get done, but in between errands I am going to try and be present. I'm going to notice the beauty around me. It's snowing outside. I'm going to take some deep breaths and think about everything that is wonderful in my life. I am going to be still and appreciative. And if I procrastinate a little and don't get everything on the to-do list done, there is always tomorrow. Thanks Ellen
see a few clips here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9EOJcSRs1g

No comments:

Post a Comment